DRESS AND APPEARANCE STANDARDS
Below are the dress and personal appearance standards for all students at Saint Ignatius. Any student’s dress or appearance, while not specifically outlined below, may be considered unacceptable if it is in violation of the neatness, moderation, modesty, spirit and/or intent of these standards as determined exclusively by the Deans of Students.
1. Neatness, cleanliness, moderation, and modesty should guide appearance and selection of student dress.
2. Extreme or distracting hairstyles are not permitted. The school reserves the right to decide what styles are extreme or distracting.
3. Ornaments and decorations associated with body piercing and visible tattoos are not permitted in school or at school-sponsored events, including but not limited to dances and athletic events. The only exception is earrings for girls.
4. Chains, key chains, and key rings that attach to clothing in any way may not be worn.
5. Jewelry and belts that are spiked, studded or dog collar style are not allowed.
6. No article of clothing may be tied around the waist or thrown over the shoulders.
7. All outerwear, including fleece jackets and athletic pullovers must be placed in the student’s locker upon arrival to school. Outerwear is not to be brought to class or carried around.
8. No denim clothing is permitted.
9. Clothing with logos from other high schools is not permitted.
10. Students may wear approved Saint Ignatius half-zip and crew neck sweatshirts.
1. Dress slacks with a relaxed and modest fit. Pants, regardless of the material, must not exhibit the characteristics of jeans. Athletic pants, stretch pants, yoga pants, velour pants, fleece pants, drawstring pants, and leggings are not appropriate. Pants must reach the ankle and may not be rolled up.
2. Skirts or dresses with a collar that hit the knee or are longer.
3. Long or short sleeved collared blouses, shirts that button down the front, cover the midriff at all times, and contain no writing or numbers. Shirts must be buttoned to the collarbone and have full sleeves (no cap sleeves). Turtlenecks may be worn underneath a collared blouse, a cardigan sweater or a pullover sweater.
4. Cardigan or pullover sweaters worn over a button-down blouse or polo shirt. Sweaters and collared shirts must be relaxed-fitting and cover the midriff at all times.
5. Dress shoes or gym shoes. Slippers or slipper-type shoes, moccasins, or boots are not permitted.
6. Jewelry that is not excessive or distracting. Examples of distracting jewelry include, but are not limited to, more than two earrings per ear, an excessive number of bracelets, bracelets with inappropriate writing or slogans on them, and large hoop earrings.
7. Hair must be a natural color and one color only.
1. Dress slacks with a relaxed and clean fit worn at the waist. Pants, regardless of the material, must not exhibit the characteristics of jeans. Athletic pants, wind pants, fleece pants, drawstring pants, or sweatpants are not appropriate. Pants must reach the ankle and may not be rolled up.
2. Long or short sleeved collared shirts that button down the front, are tucked in at all times, and contain no writing or numbers. Shirts must be buttoned to the collarbone and students may wear an optional plain white undershirt. Turtlenecks may be worn but also must be tucked in at all times.
3. Dress belt or dress suspenders.
4. Crew-neck or v-neck pullover sweaters or cardigan sweaters worn over a collared shirt.
5. Dress shoes or gym shoes. Slipper, slipper-type shoes, moccasins, or boots are not permitted.
6. Clean-shaven with sideburns not extending beyond the lowest opening of the ear. Sideburns cannot be flared or tapered to a point.
7. Hair must be cut above the collar, off the face and above the ears. Ponytails and coloring are not allowed.
CHURCH ATTIRE DAYS
Modesty, respect, and reverence should guide student appearance on Church Attire Days. Boys should wear dress slacks, a dress shirt and tie, and dress shoes and socks the entire day. Dress shirts should be tucked in at all times. Sport coats or sweaters are optional but appropriate. Girls may wear modest skirts or dresses that reach the knee or are longer. Relaxed-fitting dress slacks that reach the ankle are also appropriate. Blouses and other types of tops should have sleeves or be worn with a relaxed-fitting cardigan or blazer. Necklines must be suitable for Church. Dress shoes should be worn; this does not include gym shoes, boots, or moccasins. Any violation of dress code on a Church Attire Day will result in a double detention. The Saint Ignatius Administration reserves the right to define what styles and fits are appropriate for a Church setting.
SPIRIT WEAR DAYS
The first Friday of each month is designated as a Spirit Wear day. Students may wear short or long-sleeved Saint Ignatius t-shirts, crew-neck sweatshirts, or half-zip pullovers. The clothing must be official Saint Ignatius wear that has been approved by a moderator or coach and it should have the school’s name or mascot on it. The Spirit Wear top must be worn as the outer garment. No hooded clothing or jackets are allowed.